Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Mid Season Review Time

Sometime in January of this year, I got down on paper what it was that I believed would translate to peace of mind. I asked myself, "what are the things that give me peace of mind?" and I put everything on paper that was of importance. I ended up lumping these "things" in to buckets with similar themes and ended up with five key areas of life:

-My career
-My finances
-My health
-My social life/family
-My hobbies/fun

Underneath each of these areas I drilled down in to specific, quantifiable activities so that I'd be able to easily tell whether I did the things I enjoyed or valued the most. I know, this probably sounds a little OCD, and it probably is, but it was a way for me to get organized around having some balance in life. If you want some more background I wrote about this when I started this whole blog experiment.

I review where I'm at around the start of each month to see how I'm doing in relation to the plan for the year and figured I'd share some of it on here since we're now halfway through the year. Its also close to the midway point of the baseball season, so I've got my mind on mid-year review stuff.

Maybe it'll spark something in a few of you to do the things that matter most, or maybe it'll reinforce how crazy I am. I'll give a very abbreviated version under the big 5 areas, along with a midseason grade, since we've just passed the halfway point of the year. And I'll send you the original electronically if you want it, but some details will be left out.

My Career
Mid Season Grade: B-

When I left Seattle in May without a job in Chicago I knew there was risk involved with the decision. My key criteria for the next step in my career was to be in a job that allowed me to add value to the place I work, help patients, and be creative. Additionally, I want to continue working in some capacity using Lean, a management system used by Toyota to deliver what the customer wants in the most consistent, reliable, cost-effective way.

There are jobs doing Lean consulting in health care here in the Chicago area, and I have an interview on July 22 with a large healthcare organization in the area doing exactly what I did out in Seattle. Of course, its not Group Health (who was featured on the front page of the New York Times yesterday) but it'd be a cool opportunity. And if you're wondering why health care is a mess, the article in the NY Times gives you a sense for why I'm such a fan of my former employer. It was bittersweet seeing that article on the NY Times, and I'm proud of those folks for being so progressive in the approach to healthcare.

I'm continuing to apply for work elsewhere and stay sharp with Lean through reading books, articles, and web-based content.

Obviously this grade will improve if I had a full time job, which I'm hopeful will happen soon.

My Health
Mid Season Grade: A-

I have goals on my personal plan to gain some weight (I know, that sounds bizarre), get some long walks in, and stay organized (that's mainly for mental health). Thus far I'm staying on top of the key activities under my health, and it is really nice not to have health be an issue. I know I've said that before on here, but it bears repeating for me, at least to keep some perspective on things. Annie helps with the walking, and we've found a few walks in the area where we can both get some exercise in as long as we're loaded up on bug spray.

My finances
Mid Season Grade: C+

I saved up a decent amount of cash before making the move, and am really trying to be responsible about where and how I spend money. I do have some opportunities for work if I need to bring in some cash flow, but I'm doing well in this department. My sister has been gracious enough to let me live 'rent free' and my only significant expenses (car payment, insurance, etc) are covered.

My social life/family
Mid Year Grade: A-

This has been the best part about being back in Chicago, and I'm still in a bit of that honeymoon period where its great to be around family and friends without having to hurry. My goal at the start of the year was to interact with my family at least 60 minutes a week and I've obviously blown that out of the water living near them. My sister, niece and nephew are a blast to be around, and my nephew is now calling me "Dango." My niece makes me laugh a few times a day with her wit, and my sister and I are enjoying living together as adults. Obviously its great being back around my folks and brother's family as well, and living in the suburbs has pros (great parks, golf, etc.) and cons (about 20 miles from the city, mosquitos, etc.) but all's well out in the land of SUVs.

I've seen my friends a bunch since being back, and there are many more people I'd like to see now that I'm settling in, so much fun on the horizon from a friend/social standpoint.

In the dating world, I've been dipping my toe back in the water here in Chicago, but I think it'd be best if I keep that stuff out of the public domain. Unless there's a funny story to share, which there isn't. Yet.

My hobbies
Mid Season grade: B

At the start of the year I put a goal on paper for the number of fun activities I wanted to do this year. I have a number of rounds of golf I want to play, sporting events to attend, movies I want to see, books to read, etc., and thus far I'm on track or ahead of where I wanted to be with my hobbies.

I've played 14 rounds of golf this year and my goal was 15, so you can tell where I'm spending some of my free time. My golf game is about the same as it was when I was 18 years old, and although you'd think I've gotten smarter on the golf course I'm still an irrational teenager most of the time. Although I did break 80 on Monday, which felt good.

Today's my first cubs game since I've been back, and although they frustrate the hell out of me it'll be great to be in Wrigley once again. A buddy's company was invited as a guest and my calendar isn't exactly jam packed these days. I'll make sure to post pics later tonight.

I'm reading Blindness, per my sister's recommendation. It's written by Jose Saramgo, and I think ended up as a movie. Its one part sci-fi, one part social commentary and although grammatically its a bit of a nightmare I'm enjoying it thus far. It'll be my 4th book of the year and my goal was 6 so all is good in that department.

Movies and concerts I could use some improvement. I saw Public Enemy, which was filmed in chicago and chronicles the last few years of John Dillinger's life. I'm not in the business of movie reviews, but I will say John Dillinger was more interesting than the script led him on to be. I took a history of Chicago class at DePaul as an undergrad, and the guy was friggin Robin Hood; not a criminal with no rhyme or reason to robbing banks (as you'd think of from the movie). Sure, his methods weren't exactly family friendly, but he did help folks out during and after the depression.

I haven't been to a rock concert since coming up in Chicago, but with plenty of acts heading through town I'm sure I'll catch up in terms of my goal. And if you're interested in checking out something new, Wilco has a new album which came out last week. Its not the best Wilco album I've heard, but a few songs on there I dig. One of my favorite bands, and based here in Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment