Friday, July 10, 2009

Featured Friend of the Week: Tony Cogan


As I started a few weeks ago, today I'm continuing with the Featured Friend Interview. Tony Cogan and I attended elementary, middle, and high school together and he's had an interesting 33 years, including the past 12 as a professional baseball player. I asked him a variety of questions on family life, baseball, and other random things, so here's Tony...

Family/Growing up

I know you and your brother are very close and enjoy a lot of the same hobbies. How have you two managed to stay so close over the years?

We have certainly grown close over the years. I would have to say that
sharing interests like fishing, traveling and baseball have played a
huge part in our relationship. We have had our fair share of rough
moments as well, but what siblings haven't? We always pull through one
way or another.

Tell me one thing your dad taught you growing up that you still think about regularly? One thing that stands out is being on time. We would always be at the
airport super early or if we were going to a party we would be early.
At the time I thought he was out of his mind, but now it seems I have
adopted his behavior. It's probably not the most important thing he
taught me (focus, drive, discipline, etc.), but it stayed with me.

What about your mom? My mom is one of, if not the toughest person I know. Without getting into details, she has been through the ringer... a few times over...and always comes out of it. She never ceases to amaze me with her mentality towards life and her ability to overcome adversity.

And Danny, your brother?

This may not qualify for a lesson but he has always been there to support me in my career. Whether it was catching my bullpens in the off season, coming to any game he can or just his willingness to talk it out. In fact, I credit him with steering me towards pitching at a
young age when he would force me to throw to him while he mimicked Carlton Fisk (his all time favorite player). If I were to apply this to a life lesson its probably the importance of support for friends and family. It has meant so much to me to have had his support along
the way.

When you guys were young you went on one of the coolest vacations: the NFL pro bowl in Hawaii. Somehow you or Danny won a contest and ended up going out there and meeting a ton of NFL players and I'm still jealous to this day you guys did that. Who do you remember meeting on that trip? If you could go back and talk to anyone you saw that weekend, who would it be and what would you ask them?

I was only nine years old so I don't remember too many encounters with players, but there are a few that stand out. Jim Covert, Boomer Esiason, and Mean Joe Green (at some party). That's all I remember off the top of my head, but I do remember waiting for Walter Payton to show
up to this party for what seemed like and eternity...he didn't show. I just wanted an autograph and to say I met him.

Baseball questions:

You've made a living as a baseball player and have probably had several moments when you've said to yourself "Is this really happening?" What would be three examples of times when you've been struck by the coolness of the moment or someone you met? Why do you think those were such memorable/important experiences?

Two of my top three moments were when I returned to Chicago to play the Sox and Cubs. It wasn't just having grown up in the area and watching these teams, but having all my family and friends come and watch was surreal. I always threw well in Chicago so coming out of the game,
looking up in the stands and seeing so many familiar faces there to
support me (many cheering against their teams) is an indescribable
feeling. I still think to those days as some of my best memories. I
would have to say a close third is a game you attended (I know you
were at some Chicago games too). Opening day at Yankee Stadium after being told I had made the roster two days earlier. Going from half
filled minor league stadiums to playing the defending World Series champs in front of 52,000 rabid Yankee fans was quite a shock. We had a practice the day before in an empty stadium and that in itself was pretty cool. I've had many other great experiences in the game but those are surely at the top.

Your favorite uniform number is 21. What is the significance behind it? Did it bother you when you couldn't wear it for the Royals?

My birthday is the 21st of December, so that must be where it came
from. I don't remember any other reason why it would be my favorite. I was fine with whatever number I got from the Royals. 55 was my spring training number and I just kept it. I think I had the attitude that I had to earn the right to a number of my choice.

What do you like better, working as a starting pitcher or a guy out of the bullpen? Why?

That's a really tough question. I have never been able to give a definitive answer to that one. I like them both for different reasons. Starting is nice because of the schedule and ability to
prepare from start to start (or work on mechanical issues). Its nice to know when you are pitching. On the other hand being in a closer or in a setup roll is nice because you get to come to the park almost everyday with the chance of playing. That's the short answer.

What makes a good manager? Pitching coach?

I think the best coaches and managers always treat their players as individuals. Every player is unique to some extent and it takes different methods to reach them. The best coaches seem to make connections with their players, not to say you can't be a hard ass and
be a great manager or coach. Also, I have always said that catchers make the best managers because they know how to handle a pitching staff. That is probably the most difficult job a manager has... on the field.

Your first stint in the major leagues came during the steroid era. How would you feel if Walner (or some other class action attorney) approached you about a class action lawsuit against the hitters on behalf of all pitchers? How do you feel looking back on it, knowing that some of the runs and hits you gave up were the result of guys taking shortcuts?

Funny question. I am really not the suing type, but it would
certainly make for an interesting case(and maybe one that could be
won). It would have to be on behalf of all non-PED users (there were
plenty of pitchers using also). The numbers from that era and probably
still today to some extent are certainly skewed, but the fact of the
matter is I was injured the following year and have never been the
same. Maybe my numbers would have been a little better, but I don't
think my career would have been any different.

If Bud Selig or someone from MLB came to you and asked how we'd get steroids and PEDs out of sports, what would you suggest?

I would suggest regular blood tests or whatever the international
standard is. I don't see why MLB can't adopt the IOC testing methods.
They claim to be cleaning up the game, but there are and will always
be guys using performance enhancing drugs as long as they can get away
with it. Bottom line... the testing needs to be more effective and
more often.

Which major league stadium was your favorite to play in? Sorry Sox fans... Wrigley was my favorite. Shitty clubhouse, but once
I was on the field it was electric. I had been to so many games there
as a fan so it meant a lot to me to play there.

Which minor league stadium? If I had to pick one its probably Round Rock outside of Austin, Tx. I love playing in the Steelyard(Gary) though. Its up there with the
best that I have played in.

Which college stadium? Easy... Sunken Diamond, Stanford

What is the funniest or most random thing a fan has ever asked you?

I have been solicited to sign various body parts; arms, legs, and a
kids forehead once (with mom's permission). A few fans throughout my
career have noticed that I sign with my right hand. I always am
surprised when that happens.

What was the funniest thing ever said during a conference on the mound (this could be at any level)?

This isn't something that was said but I was pitching in the Metrodome and my pitching coach Brent Strom came out for a visit to see how I was doing. He must have been a lot more nervous than me because his lips were crusted over bright pink with what must have been a handful of pepto bismol. He left the mound and my catcher and I had a good laugh. The pitching staff was struggling to say the least so I don't
blame Strommy for be so high strung.

What was the worst/most embarassing thing you had to do as a rookie? I was pretty lucky as a rookie. didn't have to do too many embarassing things. Actually I can't think of any.

You were a huge Cardinal fan growing up; did you still follow them as anadult? If so, how did it feel playing against them as a Royal?

I still am a fan, but not as enthusiastic as I used to be. Playing against them was a highlight for sure. Actually, Tony La Russa came out to argue a call when I was on the mound and I had a moment of..."Wow, that's Tony La Russa."

Then I got back to reality and struck out Fernando Vina on three pitches.

We were together the evening of the infamous Steve Bartman game and we decided to walk to Wrigley a short time before the infamous 8th inning. Were we to blame for the Cub kibosh?

Could be, but we can leave that one to the philosophers.

On a scale of 1 - 10, with 10 being extremely superstitious, how would you rate your level of superstition? If you had a no hitter going, would you want to talk to your teammates or have them leave you alone?

I am probably in the middle somewhere. I have become less and less over the years. As for the no hitter I would probably want my teammates to act normal towards me, but probably wouldn't want them to mention the nono.

How many REGULAR season baseball games do you think you watch in a year? What are you looking for when you watch? Entertainment? Are you watching pitch sequence/hitting?

Including my own a lot. Not as many complete MLB games as you would
think because we play so many of our own. There is usually a game on
in the clubhouse though. I like to watch for entertainment, but at
the same time I like to see what is going on strategically. I guess
even when I am watching for entertainment I'm trying to see how the
pitcher and catcher are approaching the hitters. There is a lot to
look for.

Fun other topics:

My older sister was your APF advisor during your freshman year at Highland
Park High School. What exactly did an APF advisor do? Did she help or hinder your performance in the classroom?

Haha. That was a long time ago, but she must have been a great help because I made it though with no problems

We had a man named Mike Lazar as our gym teacher in elementary school who taught us burpies. I always thought they were the dumbest exercise ever. Do you think burpees helped you in any way, shape, or form become a professional ball player? Better yet, did anything from gym class ever help you? Maybe dodgeball?

Not so sure burpees contributed to me reaching MLB, although it
wouldn't hurt the fat ass kids today to shut down the XBOX for a
minute and do some. I think playing all those other games, dodgeball
included, contributed in some way to me becoming a professional
athlete. The more often we are out there as kids playing sports helps
develop our athletic skills and sense of competitiveness.

Who was your favorite teacher in elementary school? Why?

Mr Birdsall. He actually taught my two older cousins and my brother. Also, he used to sit for my me and my brother when my parents would go out of town.

If I gave you unlimited cash and you could pick three bands to play a one-night concert, who are the bands you'd select and which venue would they play at?

Led Zeppelin, Marley and Hendrix. I made the assumption they didn't have to be living. The Metro would be sweet, but I could see that act anywhere.

You've dabbled with the guitar at times; what band would you like to watch in the studio? Who would you like to be on stage with?

I don't think I'm stage ready, but I would love to be in the studio for any band just to see the process.

You and I are dedicated members of the Degenerate Fantasy League, our annual fantasy football league. What do you think makes a good General Manager in professional sports? What about in fantasy sports?

First and foremost, as with any profession, to put it bluntly you have to know your shit. Know your team(players and coaches), and know the rest of the league. The draft and development of players is key as well. You can only rely so much on signing the best free agents. Take the Cardinals or Red Sox for instance. They do a great job with free agents when available, but seem to always have a superstar or more in the system. There are a lot of people below the GM who
deserve credit as well.

You've got a ton of time to kill while you're on the road, give our readers one magazine, one movie, one band, and one book you've enjoyed over the year that everyone should check out.

Interesting article on Zach Grenke in Sports Illustrated, The Hangover was hilarious
(we get bootleg movies from this guy in Gary; Kramer style), Outliers
(pretty interesting, but not amazing). Check out the band Omega y su
mambo violente. Awesome band from the Dominican Republic. They were
always playing in the clubhouse and I started to love them.

If I gave you a table for dinner anywhere in Chicago with five seats that had to be filled by local Chicagoans, who would you invite and where would you eat?

Not including friends and family I would have to say Obama, MJ, John
Hughes
, and Mayor Daley. That would make for an interesting evening.
I'd have Daley pick his favorite random restaurant that I wouldn't
know about. Otherwise Erie Cafe would be a great setting.

You blogged your experience in Puerto Rico during winter ball. What advice do you have for me as an aspiring blogger?

Best advice I can give is do more than one. Sorry to anyone who
expected more from me.

1 comment:

  1. Great BDay present for me!

    Thanks "buddy" (your name omitted) ; )

    -DC

    ReplyDelete