Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The last 24 Hours on the Road


South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois


Photos

Pix today are a highlight reel from the trip. Not a ton
to see in Big 10 country so here are the top ones from the last week heading across the country.

Highlights

-Had a great country breakfast around 11 AM somewhere in
South Dakota. It was about 50 miles from where that kid
won the huge lottery, but couldn't tell you what town I
was in. I'm convinced I could live on Bacon, Eggs, and
Pancakes my entire life.
-Adam Carolla's podcast made 90 minutes fly by. For
those in Seattle, its better than his old radio show, and
for those in other parts of the country its worth
checking out. His guest yesterday was Bill Simmons, a
writer for ESPN every male under the age of 50 knows.
-South Dakota gets a bad rap in terms of being a boring
drive, but I kinda liked rolling through the farm land.
None of our states are useless, all of them serve a role
in our economy and the breadbasket states are the ones
behind that cheeseburger you eat at lunch.
-Annie and I stopped in Albert Lea (not to be confused
with the homewares store in Seattle), and she got a run
in the local lake (one of 10,000 in the state).
-I got us to Wisconsin and had to have a Culver's
Butterburger. You haven't had grease until you've had
one of these suckers, and it was everything I hoped it'd
be. Annie agreed.
-I rolled in to my parents' house about 12:15 AM.
-Annie immediately made enemies with Velvet, their 12
year old black lab. She also tried to hunt down their
cat, Patsy (aka Fatsy Patsy) and was not well received.
She slept with me upstairs, and we've got a ways to go in
the Annie immersion project.
-Woke up this morning, drove to Starbucks for coffee and
heard Lin Brehmer on XRT. There's probably some cliche
analogy I could use (putting on worn in jeans, an old
t-shirt, whatever) but it just felt comfortable being
back here.
-Went to my temporary permanent residence, and began to
unpack Annie and myself.
-Annie sits next to me as I write this blog, 10:18 AM
central time.

Between the Ears
After a great night's sleep in Oacama, SD I decided to
haul ass and get to Chicago in a day. Even though
there's some interesting stuff between Oacama and
Highland Park (my final destination in suburban Chicago)
I figured I can always visit those places, and it was
time to head home. I spent about 11 hours in the car,
and the final stats on the trip are below.
I spent most of the day listening to the ipod, local
radio (South Dakota really likes they're
Nickelback....blahhhhhhhh), and even just driving with
the windows down listening to the wind.
It gave me a chance to summarize the trip in my head, so
I'll rattle through my thoughts after 9 days on a road
(these are in no sequential order of importance,
relevance, or any other variable).
Total Miles Driven: 3,198
Google Maps Distance from Seattle to Chicago if I took I90 the whole way: 2,004
Favorite Stop: Missoula, Montana
Least Favorite Stop: Sheridan, Wyoming
Annie's Favorite Adventure: Rattlesnake Park outside Missoula
Dan's Favorite Adventure: Getting lost in Glacier up near Bowman Lake
Most Popular Businesses in EVERY town with more than 1,000 people: Bars, Hair Salons, Gas Stations
Professions I admire most after this trip: Truck Driving and Parenthood
Professions I'm not sure I'd be able to handle: Truck Driving and Parenthood
Most jaw dropping moment: Having a Bison herd rumble past my car at the Bison Reservation in Montana
Most Disappointing Moment: Getting to Rushmore to see it covered in Fog
Best Cheeseburger: Culver's in Wisconsin, with a close #2 to Mo's in Missoula
Worst Meal: Cheesesteak from hotel restaurant in Kalispell
Most Pleasant Surprise: Wall Drug. I know I'll get crap for that, but it really is an example of a guy who knew how to sell the heck out of nothing to travelling tourists.
Biggest Weather surprise: A tie between the desert heat in eastern Washington and snow in June in Wyoming.
Most Interesting Person I met on the way: Roger, who works with his ma in a camera store in West Glacier. He'll be an environmental engineer or something that makes a big impact on the world...some people you can just kinda tell.
Best Job I heard about: Mark, the guy who works for the National Parks tracking Bears.
Worst Job I heard about: There's no such thing in this economy, lots of folks struggling to make ends meet out there.
Proudest moment as an American: seeing Missoula rally around Sidney Watson, the gal who was badly injured in a car wreck
Saddest moment as an American: watching public access TV in Wyoming and hearing how budget cuts are killing some vital public health and education programs in rural America.
Memorable Music selections in select states:
Washington-Pearl Jam as I passed the Gorge;Montana-Wilco as I wandered up to Glacier; Wyoming-Johnny Cash as I headed in and out of Cody; South Dakota-Metallica a perfect soundtrack for haulin'
ass;
Minnesota-Weezer as I headed towards Wisconsin Border;
Wisconsin- Smashing Pumpkins will always be synonymous
with Madison, Wisconsin on Halloween weekend in 1995.
Fun to revisit some of those memories.
Illinois- Fleetwood Mac; the song from the end of shows
at the Vic (Never Going Back) was playing as I crossed in
to Chicago..not my favorite band but a song with lots of
memories attached to it.
First thing my mom said to me when I walked in: You must be exhausted, go to bed.
Second thing my mom said to me: You must be hungry.
Best comment during phone call: "Long trip dude. Long Trip" - Jonathan Merel
Regrets: Staying at the Motel 6 in Sheridan.

Other things I gleaned from the past 10 days:
-Exploration doesn't have to be on vacations. I can have the same spirit anywhere I live, and hope you all do as well. Its not easy to get out of our comfort zones, but
its so rewarding when we do.
-Talking to strangers can be a lot of fun. Meeting one new person a day is not a bad goal to have. -Travelling alone is not easy, but its a lot of fun. Not more fun than with people, but a cool experience.
-Annie is one tough cookie. 3200 miles is not easy on a human, and she was a rockstar
-Its really nice not to be sick. Many of you know I've battled with an illness up until a few years ago, and it was so freeing to be out in nature, in foreign places, and not having to worry about my health. Enjoy your health when you've got it; as I found out, we have no guarantees.
-Its time to find work and settle in.

Thanks to all for following along, I'll keep posting on here, just probably not daily.
-D

1 comment:

  1. Glad you both made it there safely, Dan! We've been thinking about you, and enjoyed the adventure along the way! Paula

    ReplyDelete