Sunday, May 31, 2009

Day 2: in and around Missoula

Before I begin, you can see pix from today by clicking here if you don't want to read through the rambling below....

After a good night's sleep, I got Annie out for a walk and headed to breakfast (on my own) around 10 AM.

Surprisingly enough, I found a great Bagel place here in Missoula, and as a nice Jewish boy it was excellent to start my day with a legitimately good bagel and lox. One of the guys working at the place was from Barrington, about 20 miles west of Highland Park, my home town. I had a Cubs hat on, and as a Sox fan he made sure to give me plenty of crap before handing over the bagel...but all in good fun. He gave me a great suggestion for a day hike with Annie, so after breeakfast she and I headed up to Rattlesnake Recreation Area, which was only a few miles north of Missoula. One thing fun about travelling alone, I really can go with the decision in the moment and its really a liberating feeling.




Since I'm the one with the agenda on this trip and have been calling most of the shots thus far, I figured I'd let Annie be our guide on the hike, which ended up being somewhere close to 7 miles. I trusted that she knew where she was going, and it turns out, she didn't. But it was great to be walking along the Clark fork, which was moving very quickly. Annie got in to the river a few times, and I put my feet in, but it was damn cold and moving quickly.




Annie was beat when we got back (3 hours of hiking isn't easy on those short stumps), and I dropped her off at the hotel before heading out to the local Wal Mart for some supplies over the next few days. Water, extra socks (no chance I do laundry on this trip), some snacks, you get the idea.



After getting back to the hotel, I headed towards the Missoula waterfront where I heard loud music. While walking over there, I saw a few guys surfing in the river, something I didn't think was possible in Montana, but very cool. I wandered towards the music and it turned out to be a benefit for a girl who had an awful car accident and spent 35 days in a Coma. Her family was swamped with bills, so the community rallied around them and had a benefit to help her pay for all of the ongoing physical therapy, treatment, etc., she'll need to get back to her old self. She's a 17 year old girl, and I was really humbled by how supportive the community was for her. And when I say community, I mean everyone: bikers, hippies, farmers, students, kids, old people, and everything in between was there to support this girl. I guess that's one great thing about small towns: when folks are in a pinch, everyone seems to know, and its a pretty cool thing about our country that isn't always easy to see in a big city like Seattle or Chicago. I'm sure you can donate to her cause (anything helps) by going to the link above.



I chatted with a gal from Vermont named Sarah, who worked at a dog day care and had 4 dogs of her own; 3 pit bulls. She and Hazel (her pit bull) were fun to chat with, and I'm convinced no one in this town is capable of being in a bad mood. She's been out here for about 5 years, but it sounds like she's having a tough time with work and is thinking of heading back to Vermont. Despite her uncertainty and rough go of late (she'll get an eviction notice next week) she was really upbeat, and her dog was very friendly. Come to think of it, everyone I've chatted with here in Missoula is super friendly, willing to chat, and willing to share tips and tricks for the road. I guess that kinda thing happens everywhere, but its been really nice to meet such friendly folks.



After the benefit I remembered the Cubs were playing, and headed to Mo's, a local bar/restaurant owned by a Cub fan. Although the cubs stunk up the joint, I had a great burger and chatted with a gang of guys who were spending the summer in Missoula, attending summer classes at the University. Most of them were from Montana/Wyoming, and had some tips to share in terms of steps down the road.




I've really liked Missoula; some great scenery, really friendly people, and a great first leg on the trip back. Tomorrow I'll head up towards Glacier, and will try to post more pictures/commentary if I get a web connection.....














No comments:

Post a Comment