Tuesday, December 22, 2009

2009: The Year in Review

Last Friday I had my work team's holiday party, which shaped up to be your typical office holiday party. Some awkward chit-chat, a secret santa thing, you know, the kind of thing you probably attended in the last week. Anyhow, I didn't realize until the morning of the party (it was a lunch) that we were supposed to bring our reflections on our year. Of course, these were only supposed to be reflections on our professional life, but I found myself reflecting on the bigger picture as I drove out to the suburbs.

The words I'd use to describe this past year were challenging, fun, and adventuresome. (Somaybe my blog's title wasn't so dumb after all). But in looking back on the past 12 months I've been able to accomplish most of what I set out to at the start of the year as well as a few added bonuses.

How do I know this? Well, as I've written about before, I sat down last January and began to think about what 'success' would look like at the end of the year. And for me a successful year would be one I could look back on as peaceful, so I set out with the belief that if I achieved success in the main areas of my life (career, finances, health, social/family, and hobbies) I'd have a shred more serenity in my life than I had on December 31, 2008.

So I set about doing my best to accomplish those goals, and tracking how I did along the way. As you can see from the photo, many of the goals were accomplished, and I've got a sense for where things can continue to improve as I look forward to 2010. Green = Good, Red = Needs Improvement.


But the question I've asked myself is, "despite all of these accomplishments, have I achieved peace of mind?"

I would like to think I'm at a good place today. Its a much better place than I've been in a while after having a few years that were anything but peaceful. So when I step back, things are pretty cool today--December 22, 2009. A few reasons:

I'm close to the people who matter most to me. My family and friends are what make Chicago so great, but its also an awesome city with endless possibilities for entertainment, fun, and adventure-seeking. Needs Improvement: Sports.

As much as I gripe (griped?), I have a job that gives me a chance to help patients avoid some of the chaos inside the hospital. It gives me a chance to grow and learn, help patients, and be creative which is all I can really ask for in a job.

My health is great and I'm not worried about my next doctor appointment, procedure, or surgery.

I'm financially comfortable, and have more than enough to afford the things I need to be happy.

But despite all of these great things I have had a chaotic year in many regards. I've traveled to 23 states, moved across the country, left a job I loved (for a job I like), moved in with my sister and kids, then moved in to a place of my own. So as you can expect, it hasn't exactly been "peaceful" at times due to all the activity. I know these were changes I brought on myself, so I really am not complaining, just making the observation that all of the activities I spent time may have led to success in many regards--it just not may be success in terms of 'peace of mind.'

Looking forward I see 2010 as a year of continued learning about myself, and I'll spend the next few weeks thinking about what I'd like to accomplish in 2010....stay tuned, and don't be afraid to set a few goals yourself if there's something you're itching to accomplish.

1 comment:

  1. All in all, a successful 2009. Congrats Delta, looking forward to a great 2010!

    ReplyDelete